Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Trove is Terrific

Trove is a terrific resource for more than just those researching Australian family history.  It really is a Treasure Trove for anyone who is interested in history or historical research.

So what is Trove?  Trove is a search engine managed by the National Library of Australia , which brings together collections of Historical Newspapers, Books, Pictures, Diaries, Letters, Maps and more.

The Newspapers are my favourite. I have been able to locate so much information about my ancestors by searching in Trove.

A search on my Great Great Grandfather "James Pilgrim Winiam" brings up 249 mentions of James in newspapers,including Awards, Weddings, Deaths, Community Service, Obituary, Farm Accidents, Meetings etc. Further results are revealed when the town (Winiam) is excluded or just the Surname, Pilgrim, is searched.

A search of "A-Z" revealed the following:

The Horsham Times
Friday 31 July 1931
Source: http://trove.nla.gov.au

"A Z" - HIS NAME
"What's your name?" asked a messenger
in the Criminal Court at Bridgeport (USA),
as a tall negro asked for his fee for giving
evidence in a criminal case.  "A Z" was the reply.  
"A Z what?" "A Z nothing, just A Z"
"Were you christened A Z?"
"Yes, I was the only child, and I guess they
gave me that name 'cause I was the
first and last"



The Brisbane Courier
Monday 17 July 1933
Source: http://trove.nla.gov.au

The Mercury (Tasmania)
Wednesday 20 May 1908
Source: http://trove.nla.gov.au

Click for more posts


10 comments:

  1. What a clever spin on Trove for this post, and the challenge, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pauleen. It is amazing what you can find on Trove! I have even got my kids using it to add extra to school assignments.

      Delete
  2. Wonder if they have anything like that in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to find anything like this in UK...but if you do, please let me know!

      Delete
  3. How awesome is that? Thanks for this tid-bit. I need to put this one in my bookmarks for future reference. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting theme for A-Z. It's been in my head to start a genealogy project for my family - I will come back to your posts for tips - thank you!
    Good luck with your research.

    nanmock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Nan. It is a very enjoyable hobby.

      Delete
  5. The A Z articles are just too cute and appropriate for our A to Z Challenge. Trove sounds like a great source for genealogists with family in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trove is amazing (and free). Most countries require payment to view newspapers. Maybe we will be the same one day but it is a site that I would gladly pay for.

      Delete