Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Six Generations of Cruisers

Have you been on a cruise?  Where did you cruise to?  Or would you prefer to stay on Terra Firma?

Until now, I hadn't really thought about it but I have today counted six generations of cruise passengers in the family!

Firstly, John Walker and Sarah Walker, who together with their children Alexander (my Great Great Grandfather), John and Elizabeth sailed (cruised?) aboard the American ship James Brown from Liverpool, England in September 1852 to arrive at Port Henry, Geelong,  Australia in January 1853.

I haven't been able to locate a picture of the ship but it was not a happy journey as poor little John Walker died from diarrhea only 6 weeks into the journey.  The ship  was placed in quarantine when it arrived in Australia as there was whooping cough on board.

I am uncertain if Alexander's son, Ambrose Walker, went on a cruise but his son, my grandfather Gordon Walker, definitely went on a cruise with my grandmother. My Uncle provided me with the following photos from their cruise.  I am uncertain of the date but it was prior to September 1973, when my grandmother died.

My Grandmother, Rita Walker, is pictured fourth in in the queue.  She hasn't put much on her plate!

Nanna and Granddad relaxing.  My Grandfather has the raised glass and is wearing glasses.

My grandparents, Rita and Gordon Walker.
Nanna didn't drink much but I remember her having a small shandy, as I remember trying it.

My grandmother, Rita Walker.
I would love to know what is happening as no one else appears to be dressed up .   Nanna looks very happy.
Mum and Dad's first cruise was in 1984.  I was in Year 12 and asked a few friends over while they were away, which turned into most the teenagers in town.  I sure was in trouble when they came home!

Mum and Dad in 1984
Cruised to the Pacific Islands
Mum and Dad
In 1997 my husband, kids and I went on the Fair Princess to the Pacific Islands

The kids and I about to leave Sydney.  They hated the horn!
1997

In Vanuatu
1997
In 2013, my cousin and I went on a Genealogy Cruise, which was terrific.  The first of many I hope!



In less than a week, my husband and I leave to go on another cruise.   The first holiday without kids in 22 years!  So you wont see any posts from me for a few weeks!



This post was prompted by Sepia Saturday
Please click for more posts

28 comments:

  1. Wow Sharon, have fun! I went on a cruise to Fiji in 1978 and sadly I was seasick for a lot of it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no good :(

      Luckily, we do not get sea sick!

      Delete
  2. Forgot to add it was also the Fairstar

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very cool Sharon, nice detective work. And have a fabulous holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cruising is great fun, I am a bit of a cruiseaholic. Your itinerary looks good - some fab ports thete. ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love that you can see so much but only need to unpack once!

      Delete
  5. Cruising is great fun, I am a bit of a cruiseaholic. Your itinerary looks good - some fab ports thete. ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photo of your grandmother in costume reminds me of a blog by Debi Austen of "Who Knew?" Her grandparents were on a cruise and there was a costume party, apparently a regular feature of cruising in that time period. Maybe that was the case with the cruise line your grandmother used. It looks like you have a fantastic trip planned with lots of interesting stops. See the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered that too but those in the background don't seem to have dressed up!

      Delete
  7. I've never been on a cruise, but when I was growing up an entertainment my family indulged in was going to the docks in San Francisco when a ship was due to sail & pretend to go onboard to see friends or family off on a cruise. We'd never be allowed to do that today, but it was fun. We had about 2 hours to roam around the ship & pretend we were going on the cruise. Then the horn would blow warning visitors to leave & we'd stand on the dock & wave goodbye as the ship pulled away, catching some of the colorful streamers folks onboard were throwing down Didn't cost a penny & we had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a lot of fun! Hard to imagine now!

      I wonder how many people stayed on board?

      Delete
  8. We took our kids on Fairstar the funship in 1988, but I really don't like the cruising lifestyle, and also not the way the big companies totally exploit their poor staff. I did a Legacy cruise around NZ which was ok as far as the genie lectures were concerned, but am not keen to do another cruise, as I still have the same objections. Guess it's just a matter of taste, and I know many people love cruisin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean but I take the approach that there are many people all around the world who work hard and are underpaid but they are happy and I can help by rewarding them with a decent tip.

      Delete
  9. G'day, I really enjoyed this post which I have included in this weeks GAGs - GeniAus Gems at http://geniaus.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/gags-geniaus-gems-31-october-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. That is great.

      Thanks again :)

      Delete
  10. I've never been on a cruise, and don't think I will. But it's nice that you and your family have enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We find that they are very good value as all inclusive..........and we only need to unpack once!

      Delete
  11. Hope you have a great empty-nest holiday...I've turned into a cruise fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will :)

      I hope that we will (genealogy) cruise together one day :)

      Delete
  12. Just got back from almost the same cruise you are about to embark on. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. I can't boast of any previous generation of cruisers in our family - but once the bug bites. Calm seas and happy times. Alan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a great trip! I'm sure you'll have a grand time -- especially since you'll be childless! Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly will be different holidaying without the kids. Hopefully a positive different!

      Delete
  14. We are non-cruisers too, but then neither of us are good sailors. There always look good but I think we are past it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up on a boat, with a father who was a keen fisherman, so I love the ocean!

      Delete
  15. I have no interest in cruising myself but I have friends who cruise regularly and return with tales of tables laden with beautiful food. Non-stop eating is possible I'm told. So this post is very apt for Sepia Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That first picture matches the prompt beautifully, but I enjoyed all the others and the anecdotes as well. We’ve never cruised and I’m not very good on boats of any kind but we have friends who think it’s wonderful. Have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete