Saturday, January 29, 2022

Barn Yard Capers!

"I did not think you would get involved in this Barn Yard caper

I can still hear my grandmother's disgust when she made a surprise visit in 1989 and became aware that I was living with my boyfriend (who is now my husband of more than 30 years).

Gran was very proper and had a religious upbringing.  She did not believe in cohabitation. If only she had known!!

Gran had always told me that her grandparents were married on the 2nd Feb 1886.  Several family history books confirmed this.


I found it very curious when I ordered a marriage certificate and found that the actual date of marriage was 2nd February 1888, not 1886!
Edward Geyer and Edith Bound were married in February 1888

Their eldest child, my Great Grandmother, was born 20th April 1888, being two and a half months after her parents married.

Edward and Edith Geyer's eldest child was born in April 1888.

It seems that over several generations, my grandmother was the only one who was not "involved in the Barn Yard capers"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the fourth post in the 52 ancestors in 52 weeks challenge
#52ancestorsin52weeks
This week's prompt is 'curious'

6 comments:

  1. I cannot believe how many babies were born before marriage in my Italian family. One couple had five children before they married. Guess I'll never know what that story was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have a few of them too. I have ancestor who had 3 children before they married. She was ill when they married and died soon after. I would like to know the true story there.
      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  2. I think you will find that happened a lot back then, no birth control. They seem to forget what they were like but lets face it, it went on a lot people just turned a blind eye to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have a few but not alot. One relative changed all the dates in his book to make it all 'proper' :)

      Delete
  3. This is true for some of my ancestors, too! I was pretty surprised when it happened the first time but I've gotten used to it.

    ReplyDelete