Friday, February 18, 2022

Vroom Vroom

We take our cars for granted.  Airconditioning, reversing camera's and GPS are relatively standard to us.  Our ancestors would never have dreamed of these features 100 years ago!

1925
My Grandmother, Rita Walker (nee Jones) 
I wonder if she hated the photo so tried to destroy it?


1928
Almond Dale, Winiam
James, Mabel, Lorna and Hazel Pilgrim (rear)
"The Chev was the third car, but first new car" of my Great Grandparents


1929
My Great Great Grandmother, Edith Geyer (nee Bound). 
She died as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident in 1937.


March 1929
Back to Nhill
Victoria Street, Nhill


August 1932
My Grandfather, Allan Scott


1933
My Grandmother, Eva Scott (nee Pilgrim), May Johnston,
Sadie Johnston, Mrs. Johnston (back)


Bob Pilgrim's car
Nhill


My Grandfather, Gordon Walker's Austin
Tarraville


My favourite photo has been left to last.  My mother is the youngest child. 
1949
Scott Family
Eva, Joy (front), Jean, Don, Rob, Allan

I wonder what cars shall look like in another 50 or 100 years?  Driverless?  Flying? Or something unimagined?

8 comments:

  1. You have some great photos there. They remind me of the film Bonny & Clyde

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great family photos with cars. And some of them were really very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can see they took pride in their cars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great family photographs showing the fashions of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that last photo too. We didn't have all that stuff in our cars 40 years ago. The old car we're now driving doesn't have gps even now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A shame your GGGrandmother not surviving a vehicle accident. That's sometimes the trouble with automobiles. You have some really neat pix here, though, of family and their cars. A futuristic look at vehicles I saw not too long ago was of streets and highways made of solar panels and cars deriving their power from them - as did homes along those streets and highways for electricity. Could be - but a ways, yet, in the future I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've put together s wonderful collection of family car snaps. It's interesting to see how most of them have a design closer to horse-drawn carriages than even cars from the 1930s. My favorite is the street scene with the poor horse standing in the pouring rain. Traveling in cars without windows must have required always wearing sensible clothes for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great car photos, especially that last one. I think perhaps your gran may have disliked the bathing suit in the first photo, rather than the car :-)

    ReplyDelete