Saturday, May 13, 2023

Hats in Time

Believed to be the wedding of Edith Bound and Eduard Geyer in 1886
 
In days of old, a hat did hold
A charm and grace, a tale untold.
Upon the head, it sat with pride,
A symbol of style, a dashing stride.

Eva Pilgrim (nee Blythman)

A gentleman's hat, so debonair,
Topped with feathers or ribbon fair.
A touch of class, a dash of flair,
A hat that spoke of savoir faire.

Bessie and Abel Bound with Mrs Excell and Ruby Bound
Estimated to be 1890

For ladies fair, a hat adorned,
With flowers, ribbons and lace adorned.
A fashion statement, a work of art,
A hat to captivate every heart.

Unknown Lady, Great Aunty Eve Walker and Great Aunty Madeline Walker

In times gone past, a hat was worn,
To shield from sun or bracing morn.
A protective shield, a shield of shade,
A hat to don on every escapade.

Great Grandparents Mary and Ambrose Walker with horses Buzz & Silver
We believe the child is Aunty Phyllis Walker - about 1930

Oh, hats of old, we long to see,
The elegance and grace you used to be.
Though fashion changes, trends may sway,
Your timeless charm will never fade away.

I love the way that my grandfather, Gordon Walker, is looking at my nanna, Rita
At the wedding of my Aunty & Uncle in 1965

So let us raise our hats up high,
To bygone days and days gone by.
For in those hats, a story told, 
Of fashion style, and stories old.

Caroline "Carrie" Warner

                                       

13 comments:

  1. I wonder if those hats were heavy. They have so much stuff on them - flowers, ribbons, and of course the base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wear a hat as I overheat. I definitely wouldn't be able to wear these big heavy things....no matter how pretty they are.

      Delete
  2. Would be fun to see what those magnificent hats looked like in color. Too bad no one ever thought to make note of those things back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point. It would be great to know what colours they were.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic hats! They probably were heavy, but beauty has its price. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a family photo that I should have included here. It is 4 generations of family and hats. Another time :)

      Delete
  4. Great hats, and a poem to go with them! Right on the meme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some amazing hats! My favorite is Ruby Bound's hat -- lower on the head that the rest and with ties, so running around would be possible while still looking dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great selection and perfect for our theme. I love your poetry to link them together. My favorite photo has to be your great grandparents and the two horses. It's has a wonderful clarity and makes a classic image of American farm life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, and a classic image of Australian farm life too :)

      Delete
  7. I'm wondering if some of those hats are studio props as none of the ladies in the wedding group are wearing hats.
    Caroline Warner is my grandmother and Eva Pilgrim my great aunt; your blog "Too Much Death" features my dear mum Evelyn Edna Blythman; I do regret not paying enough attention when mum talked about her family but I will try and make amends! One day my children may be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your poems - what an imaginative way to describe your wonderful selection of hats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like hats but I'm thankful I never had to balance one of those early 20th ones on my head...

    ReplyDelete