Sunday, September 9, 2012

P is for Postcards

My grandmother collected every card and postcard that she received, which started a tradition that my mother and now I follow.

She wrote:

"If one of the nips was off color, I put a rug near the stove or fire for them to lie on.  Rob was the best patient – he always ran a temperature and I’d dose him with aconite pills.  It was a homeopathic mixture – real good.  He’d just lay there, but Joy would hang on to my skirts and grizzle.  I’ve still got all the cards I ever got – more than a case full and when the patient got to sitting up stage, they were allowed to look at them".

Mum did the same thing with us kids.  If I had a day off primary school sick, we would have to stay in bed all day and Mum would bring out the box of cards for us to look through.

My grandmother sent this card to her grandmother on 25th March 1925
Click to Enlarge
 In 1929 my grandmother received a folding postcard from a friend, which showed many of the landmarks in Albury, NSW.  As it turned out, I was working in Albury eighty years later so decided to take photos to show how (little) some things change.  All but two of the landmarks still exist today.  The old hospital had been demolished and the bridge over the River Murray had been replaced.

Albury Globe
1929 vs 2009

Albury High School

Albury Post Office
Albury Regent Theatre

Albury Botanical Gardens

Dean Street Albury from Memorial Hill


10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your 'then and now' images. Like you, I am a big fan of postcards. I collect them too, and my parents and sisters kept (and later returned to me) most of the cards that I sent to them when I was travelling. I write lots of information on postcards, so they are better than the travel diary that I rarely kept. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. My grandmothers postcards from around the world inspired me to travel. I still have all the postcards that she sent me. I was going to include some her but the post would have been too long.

      Delete
  2. Great post Sharon! My sister collects postcards and my great grandmother had a collection too. I also like the 'then and now' comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aillin. I enjoy this blog which has a very large collection of postcards.
      http://postcardy.blogspot.com.au/

      Delete
  3. I have all the postcards I received and some I sent too. A shoebox with all standing upright. Interesting how little the scenes have changed from 1929 until the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how mum displayed hers. I have so many now that they are all thrown into a big plastic box.

      Delete
  4. What special boxes of cards you have. My family has always tended to keep cards, mostly just birthday cards. But I find it interesting going through all, particularly those from long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the old ones had so much more personality and did not look like they were mass produced.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic post Sharon. Such wonderful memories and awesome "then and now" photos.

    ReplyDelete