Saturday, August 16, 2014

Cleaning up

"Joker takes a Bath"
1932 - Ted Geyer and Lloyd Pilgrim at Almondale Winiam
Taken by Eva Pilgrim on her Kodak Box Brownie
Won First Prize for "Most Interesting Farm Scene" at Nhill Show October 1932

Regular visitors to my blog may notice some small changes?

Jill at Geniaus recently wrote about "Tarting up the Template", which inspired Alex at Family Tree Frog to challenge us to clean up our blogs.

My daughter works in design and is always critical and loses patience when I wont accept her modern ideas! It is not that I am not willing to change (I am) but a genealogy/family history blog is different to a corporate company or artistic design!

My Grandfather, Allan Scott (lying down) with the Scott family boarder (teacher at Manya North School)
I have taken on the suggestions of fellow bloggers and increased my font size (yep as I get older I prefer a larger font too).  I played with the colour of my text too.  White was too stark and harder to read than pale gray so the primary text colour remains unchanged.  However, I have changed (and unified) some of the headings.

In time, I may add some additional tabs to records specific information, to make it easier to locate specific information.

One thing that hasn't changed is the inclusion of themed family photos in my blogs!

Please feel free to provide me with constructive suggestions and visit other participating blogs to give both a positive and a suggested improvement.

1924
Edith Geyer

12 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks so much better already! And I love the photos :) Very inspiring Sharon. I must get to work on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions Alex. Only a couple of minor changes but think that is is easier to read. Will need to test on the tablet now :0

      Delete
  2. As always good content and family photos, Sharon, a pleasure to read. I agree with you that corporate blogs are not the same as genealogy blogs. I think the latter need to be appropriately styled and designed to suit our blog content and our personality, which means that it's never going to be "one size fits all" for any of us. Personally I have a foible against black backgrounds which I find difficult to read ... but that's just me. a larger font is a big bonus for my geriatric eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pauleen. Yes I agree that the bigger font is becoming more important to me too!

      Personally, I like the black background as I feel that it makes the photos stand out. If I get a few comments that the black is difficult to read, then I will definitely look at changing to a lighter background and a total "Spring Clean" :)

      Delete
  3. thanks for enlarging the font! I think black is perfect background for your photos. I also enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie. I appreciate the feedback.

      Delete
  4. Sharon, I've always admired the LOOK of your blog -- it's one of the most handsome on the Internet. I love that you created a background from a personal and meaningful photo.

    Another thank-you for enlarging the font. I'm pretty sure I never realized your font was grey, but I am glad it is because I have read other blogs with white font on dark backgrounds, and you're right -- it can get tiring if there is a lot of copy to read.

    I also like the subtle yellow-tan for accent because it's soft, unexpected, and soothing,

    If I were to change one thing, it would be to increase the size of the individual post title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. That is so nice of you to say. Off to change the size of post title now. I had been thinking that now the font is bigger that the title also needs to be bigger and you have confirmed it! Thank you.

      Delete
  5. WoW I'm impressed. This is one CLEAN Blog. I didn't know it existed? IT's great seeing and reading new Blogs. I enjoyed the Colors and Photos and Display. Keep up the Great Work! Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following. I hope that you enjoy.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Sharon - I have always admired your blog content and style of writing, but must admit, (with eyesight issues) I found the black background off-putting. However the larger font is a great improvement and I like the colour combination with the orange headings. I like too your tab headings, especially Awards & Badges. I agree with Wendy, the post title deserves more prominence e.g. larger size font or in uppercase. I look forward to reading more of your posts more easily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sue. I have taken on the suggestion to increase the Title font size but for some reason this one keeps defaulting back to the old setting? Whilst the post I wrote yesterday has the new heading? Blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete