Saturday, January 22, 2022

Enjoy Every Day

My grandmother looks so happy holding the snowballs.  She must be cold as she is not dressed for the snow. Her shoes, dress, and bare legs are totally inappropriate. But look at that beaming smile!    

It is November1962 and my grandparents are aged in their early 50's.  The youngest of their four children is 17 years old.  They are getting a taste for the travel that they have been looking forward to for many years.  They had no idea that in less than three years, one of them would be deceased.

Eva Scott
Mt Wellington, Tasmania
1962

My grandmother was worried that she would be seasick on the voyage from Victoria to Tasmania.  My Grandfather told her that it was all in her mind.  He believed that if she thought she would be sick then it would happen. But guess who was actually seasick? 

Allan Scott
1962

Allan Scott
Mt Wellington, Tasmania
1962
My grandfather had completed some unwanted overseas travel during WWII.  He diligently wrote to my grandmother every week.  Most of those letters made it back to Australia, with the main purpose being to let my grandmother know that he was missing her and the family, and that he was alive.

According to Defence records, my grandfather developed Asthma and Rheumatic Fever while in Egypt.  It was ultimately the Rheumatic fever that led to his death in 1965 at the age of 56. 

When my grandfather died, he wasn't much older than I am now!

My grandmother never remarried or had another partner.  I asked her once why she had not remarried.  She told me that she had 'married the best, so there could be no one else'.

However, she still fulfilled her travel ambitions.  It was her postcards from around the world that inspired my love of travel.  

Thank you Gran xoxo

My kids enjoying the snow in Germany in 2006

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post was inspired by Sepia Saturday 605



7 comments:

  1. So glad your grandparents got to Tasmania...and your grandmother looked like she enjoyed the snow! It's great to travel when we're young and yet I wish I could still do so! Love seeing your own children enjoying snow in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pictures! And so neat your grandparents' traveling inspired you to do the same. There's something about suddenly knowing just where you are bringing a big smile to your face when you realize you're 'no longer in Kansas!' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice photos to match our theme. I checked the altitude of
    Mount Wellington and was surprised that at 4,170-foot it could show that depth of snow. One hot summer in Colorado, I teased my 7 year-old son with a promise of seeing snow as we took a long hike up a 8,000 ft peak. We actually found some, still deliciously cool, though the past winter's snow had really turned into crushed ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought about that previously. Maybe because it is so close to Antartica? And very cold in winter! :)

      Delete
  4. Good pictures, though I wanted to give your grandmother a jacket and gloves.

    My brother just died last year at 58. Like my sister-in-law, your grandmother had to have had a tough time being a wide so young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She certainly doesn't look dressed for snow but that makes the photo even more "dramatic" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely loving profile of your grandparents. Welcome back to Sepia Saturday!

    ReplyDelete